CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

to give up or not...

Its been over 6 weeks now of Potty training with Ash. I don't remember for sure exactly how long it took with Ame and Kaipo, but I know by this point THEY were making more effort. I don't know if he just doesn't get it OR doesn't want to. He has only done it on his own a few times, the rest of the time it has been me sitting him on the toilet, where he will go, he just doesn't TELL ME. And to top it off, he whines and cries everytime I say its time to go potty. I ask him several times b4 I take him if he has to go potty, but he always says no. But sure enough when he sits down 90% of the time he will go. I have tried various insentives, if he will just tell me and then go. But he just doesn't seem interested or care much. I normally have him in a pull-up, which is where he deposits most of his poop. I have left him naked a few times, and once was successful and made him go (because he didn't have the security of the pull-up), but the other time he peed all over the stool and floor. So I am just not brave enough to go without.
So my question is DO I GIVE UP OR NOT?
I really don't want to because this is already attempt #2, but my patience is pretty much NON existent at this point.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sincerely, one frustrated mom (as I am really the only parent handling this challenge)

5 comments:

Allan and Diane said...

How can such a cute boy cause such frustration ?? Sorry, don't have much advise in this dept. One day it will "just happen".

Bob and Becky said...

Love you Britt. At the moment, I know this seems like such a giant step for our children....but in reality....??? My advice is relax, when Ash is ready, he'll do it. Encourage him, reward him with M&Ms that was our trick, and then love those pull ups. We didn't have that luxury. I always liked to do it when the weather was warm, then it was easier to pull up those little shorts....How old is Ash now? If I remember correctly, we were there when he was born? Enjoy the moment, Brittany and just love him to pieces.

Unknown said...

It is hard- but I never used pull ups and I am a believer in that. For three days Cooper peed all over himself and didn't like the feeling and never had an accident after that. Maybe he just isnt' ready though. I know I am going to try with Luka in May though- I would love him to be potty trained for summer and being in the pool.

Eliza2006 said...

Before you quit try getting rid of the pull-ups. Let him wet himself (multiple times). He'll get it. I had a 3+ year old at Eliza's party. He pooped in his pull-up while he was here...he had to wait for his mom to come change him!

ohana=)mama said...

When Christy was a potty training we put a string of candy up across the ceiling of the bathroom. It hung there always temping her and she would go sit on the toilet even when she didn't need to go just to get the candy. This worked with my kids a little but I'm totally with the others who say... just let them we their pants. Eventually they get really sick of wetting themselves and want to go.


But seeing as I'm reading this rather late. You've probably got the situation all figured out already.