CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 06, 2008

A NEW IDEA

I took my sister Karli out to lunch yesterday for her birthday (belated) and we were talking about the life challenges we are facing and I started on the subject of my SWEET, ENERGETIC Kaipo. I have been struggling with discipline, finding balance and something that will help improve his behavior. Karli gave me an idea, that a friend of hers had used. So we headed to the $$ store this morning, filled this bucket with random, prizes, toys and treats. We are going to try something a little new and see how it goes. Several times a day we are going to stop and talk about how his behavior has been and if he has had to visit time-out. If he HAS NOT, then he gets to choose something from the bucket. I talked it up the whole way home and said we would check b4 lunch, dinner, and bed. Well... already I have realized I need to shorten my time-frames. Within 10 minutes of returning home and filling up the prize bucket, he was hiding behind the couch, cutting up pages from Ame's diary (partly Ame's fault for leaving her scissors right on her desk, asking to be used). I am making more and more adjustments as the day goes on. I think once he gets 1 prize, he will work harder for the next! We shall see.
But I am soooo open to any other creative ideas, as well!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Some times I feel like a yelling maniac when I try to deal with COoper. What are we going to do with these strong-willed children. I just read a really good book called "parenting the strong-willed childe" by Kevin Hinckley. However, I almost feel like a worse parent after reading it:) THis is a good idea I might use with Coop

Allan and Diane said...

Does Quinn get to choose if he is a good boy??? haha
Anything is worth a try and should work for a while at least!

ohana=)mama said...

oh my gosh if you find something tell me I would love to use it for Jimmy!

Chris Grover said...

i hope this (or something else) helps out. such a sweet little guy with so much personality -- it's no wonder he bursts with it sometimes! hang in there, britt, you are doing WONDERFUL with him!

Chris Grover said...

oh and thanks again for lunch! it was a lot of fun!